Friday, September 25, 2009

Are We Robots?

When you walk across college campus you might think that college students are robots. Almost every person walks around with a nice white set of ear buds placed directly in their ears. I'm trying to convince myself that they are in fact not robots and the those cords aren't controlling their brains, but from my knowledge of music I think that music does control the brain.

The most unfortunate aspect of this is that we humans are tuning out the life around us. There is a whole soundscape to our lives that happen naturally. The world we live in is vibrant with sound and interesting ones at that! It's too bad that everyone is too busy listening to the latest over-compressed piece of garbage on the radio.

I heard one of my favorite "natural" sound walking to school today. It's the sound of beeping from a construction vehicle. I love that tone, especially if it's a bit far off, it makes it sound almost ethereal, especially if there are two like there was today. Two different (or the same) pitches that beep in and out of phase because they are almost the same tempo, but just slightly different. It's like my own Different Trains but with real sounds. I love it.

I tried to load a sound clip but I had some problems. I'll figure it out later

3 comments:

Jimmie Denny said...

So true. The unconsciousness of people is quite amazing, but more amazing, I think, is the unprecedented number of people that are "awakening" despite the monstrous effort of the established power to keep the populous asleep and unconscious. I'm so glad you're aware. Peace.

Koch Clan said...

Wow, I just randomly checked your blog. Glad to see something new. I know what you mean about ipods. But phones also. When I was in my undergrad no one had cell phones. Now everyone is talking or listening to music while walking. I agree, just listen to the world around you!

Unknown said...

What about the thoughts in your own head? Hard to hear with ear plugs- oh I mean ear phones.... soon they will be hearing aids. Just my opinion. Love you Pat.