Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kids love

I was walking with Lee a bit last night (after I ate Chicken Express [gross] way too late and was feeling bad) and I was telling him about my nephews and niece.  Of course I don't have my own kids yet (God-willing) but my sister does, I love hers very much.  I've loved those kids ever since the hearing of my sisters first pregnancy (I found out thanksgiving, 2002).

I was telling Lee about my thoughts about kids, about how they love us.  I'm pretty tight with Sibley, my 5 year old niece.  We're pals.  Whenever I visit it's full of hugs and laughs and kisses and all other sorts of girly stuff (anything pink or princess-ey).  I get the honor of holding her little body that's so full of life and energy and love.  I was thinking about how when she says she loves me that what she really means is that she trusts me.  She can't really comprehend this yet, but her soul thinks 'I can trust this guy' so I love him.  I think that's why it's so much easier for children to say they love than adults.  It's really a trust thing.  They don't really know what love entails (for that matter neither do I, as I'm not married or have my own kids), about the sacrifice of my sister staying awake all night, about the sacrifice of my brother in law having jobs and providing, about the time and care it takes to be a parent.  Sibley just knows that Brandi and Rob loves her and are always there for her.

It's a really beautiful thing.

Nothing makes me smile in the same way as when that little girl gives me a hug and a smile.

The larger point to be made is that love is trust.  We can't love something that we don't really trust.  It also might not even be trust, but the hope of trust.  After a fracture in a marriage, the couple puts the pieces back together in hopes of being able to trust each other again.  To get to that point when they are comfortable with each other again.

We have to trust God to love Him.  This is a hard reality to trust (I'm so pun-ny!).  It's hard to live that out.  It's hard to trust that God is sovereign.  We want the control but the truth is we don't have any, at least any REAL control.  Sure I can dictate where I'm not going to go to work today, or take a shower, but I can't make myself grow any taller, I can't control any one else, I can't control the weather.  When I think about it, all I can really do is control what I'm doing at this very second.

God is in control.  As trite and cliché as that sounds and its.  It's a reality.  The problem is that it's not really a reality that we all can or want to accept.  I really want to accept that and I know that God is changing my heart to realize that.  I'm still too caught up in my past and my failures and hurts to see that He has my future.  I know He does, but I'm not living that out.  I'm still stressing about the same old things instead of crucifying them with Christ.  This post is truly to me as well as everyone else.  I am reminding myself that God has it all.  I don't have it.  I trust that He does.


is she not the cutest?


So back to my niece.  I love her to pieces.  She trusts me because I'm uncle Pat and when I'm around I play with her and make funny faces and show her love and protect her.  How much better is it when we feel the same about God?  We are loved, we are protected (not from perceived 'bad things' but from eternal separation), God does make funny faces at us, He does play with us.  I really LOVE Jesus and I'm so happy that He's chosen me for this battle.  I'm honored that He loves me and wants change me to be like Him.  I'm thankful.

we make crazy faces!

2 comments:

Koch Clan said...

That was a really sweet post. Sibley loved the pictures and keeps asking when you are coming to visit. Of course you had to put the crazy eyes picture in! sibley that was sibley typing her name. love you!

Unknown said...

Pat, I love this post. I got here and one of her first questions, where are my presents? She liked them so she is happy. Tomorrow I get to buy a toy for each boy. Take care of yourself and can't wait to see you June 1st. xoxoxo Mom