Monday, October 5, 2009

how big god is

I was walking to church yesterday and lately it's been really rainy here in Texas.  This was something I was not expecting and to be honest wasn't too thrilled about.  But this last rain wasn't too bad as it came in really hard fits for less than half an hour, then complete sunniness.  That was on Friday, by Sunday it was just overcast with some misting. 

I was thinking about sin and how I've lately let it become more of a focus to me than God.  I think we all go through times like this.  It's exactly what the Evil One wants us to believe, that our sins are so bad that God won't forgive them. This is a boldface lie (to quote GOB)!  But still it doesn't seem to be true to our human sensibilities, we can't comprehend that kind of forgiveness.

Here's the picture I saw walking to church-

a single drop of water lazily falling into a small puddle the size of a square of sidewalk.  it was one of those spots in a sidewalk where the concrete has disappeared or somehow dig deeper into the earth.  it was overtaken by water in a small square maybe 2.5 x 2.5 feet.  this drop of water hit the surface and a 3d wave spread out beyond the center.  i think of this as a drop of sin in the entire sin of my life.  imagine how many drops of water are in that puddle.  a whole lifetime (at least 28 years) of sinning and i just added one more drop.  at first it ripples and disturbs the surface but after a few seconds it's all still again.  now imagine this, taking that water in the pond and dropping it in the middle of the pacific ocean.  would it even be traceable?  would it even disturb even one single small wave?  God is bigger than that ocean.  we can't even imagine how big it is.  God is big, my sin is small.  why do I let it get in the way of all that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow you are amazing my son.