Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Magician, and my diet stinks

So this week was the most stressful of this semester, which isn't saying much because in the grad scheme it really wasn't that big of a deal or test.  We had a concert Monday, (see previous post) which went well but was time consuming.  Then on Thursday I had a presentation on Serialism, with a parter, for 80 minutes.  I took the first 40 with cramming the history of the 2nd Viennese School through Boulez.  In 40 minutes I went about 30 years.  My partner Gabi (a flautist from Brazil) took Babbitt and played some excerpts from him and spoke more.  It went well I think.  It really wasn't that 'hard', but it was my first kind of test here and I didn't want to look bad or flunk it, so in that respect it was a big deal.  It was good.  I also met with a string quartet for them to read through what I have so far in my piece.  It went well but was some work to get it all ready for them.  I've since them re-notated what I've got which is about 2 minutes of music.  I'm meeting with them on Tuesday for another half hour which will be a really good time for me.  On top of all that I went to two improv session (wed. night with some other DMA composers, thurs. at the dance dept. at TWU [Texas Women's University]).  It was fun, then after I went to Scott's (a fellow DMA composer, who also went to BGSU a year ahead of me, so I know him) with Ben (another DMA composer) and had a beer with some really really cheap pizza.  I woke up friday literally thinking it was Saturday.

I'm reading this book "The Magicians" which my friend Megan sent me.  I'm through the first half and I really like most all of it, except some out of context language that I think is not becoming.  I am excited to dive into the second half  Megan has this idea that when she finished a book to send it to another person my mail.  I like this idea, like a book share program.  Rather than reading and putting on shelf till you move and decide to throw it out, give it some use to someone else.  This could be a good idea!

I think my poor diet is catching up with me.  My stomach is upset most all the time and I think my body is literally rejecting much of the food on a regular basis.  I need to eat better!  Someone help me!!!  I don't know how to cook or really take care of myself in the food realm.  Help me!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat, you really worry me. Is this what you had before? Maybe you need to have some tests taken to find out if you have a ulcer or something else. You need to check it out once and for all. You need to take care of yourself. Get some oatmeal and make it for breakfast - if in a hurry get the packages of oatmeal - you used to like them. Get some veggies all cut up already and take a baggie of them with you during the day and munch on them. Try string cheese, heathly crackers and turkey lunch meat to snack on for lunch. Drink lots of water. Get chicken tenders and make chicken and rice dinners. Okay, here goes. 1 cup raw rice, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 package lipton onion soup mix dry-mix together and split in two pans (8x8 aluminum pans you can buy 3 for a couple of bucks at the store)- put however many chicken tenders you want on top. you can use it frozen. cover tightly with foil-bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees. You can freeze the 2nd pan after cooling in the freezer for later. You can also make it in smaller quanitities. hope this helps. i love you and want you around for many years to come. Mom

Abs said...

Do you have a crockpot? It would be a good investment. You can just throw things in it (like chicken breasts, a jar of northern beans, and some bell pepper strips), leave it to cook on low for 8 hours, and you're golden for the week. Your mum mentioned soup mixes--you can throw those in there, too. It takes very little effort.
As someone who has had stomach issues, I also advocate seeing a doctor and perhaps getting some meds to help you feel better when you eat--if you're less stressed about your stomach, if it feels better, you'll actually feel like eating better, or doing the cooking to eat better.