Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summer Reading List

So this summer I thought that I'd read a bunch of books that I should have read in high school. People who go to Oakesdale are totally capable of getting out of high school without really reading any books. I was especially good at not reading books. I would pretty much cheat on almost every book report I did. One time I even made up a book and got a pretty good grade. I was not a great student back in those days.

I took someone's report on Fahrenheit 451 and changed it and added my own opinions via Cliffs Notes. I read the book late in college and loved it. Why didn't I just read when I was in high school? I think it's because when we had to read in English it was like Romeo and Juliet or works by Homer. These are great pieces of literature, but unfortunately for me I was not good at reading the language of either. So, I thought all books were just hard to read, confusing, boring, and above all else time consuming. I now know much different and love to dive into a good novel. I wish I had done this much earlier and taken some literature classes because I think I would have really enjoyed them.

I digress, so here's the list so far and prospectives for the future:

Read:
The Sea, The Sea - Iris Murdoch
The Ragamuffin Gospel - Brendan Manning (not a novel, but really good)
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Everything that Rises Must Converge - Flannery O'Connor (short stories)
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Future?:
On The Road - Jack Kerouac
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
The Moviegoer, Walker Percy
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
The Jungle, Upton Sinclair


If you have any more ideas feel free to email me or comment on my blog.
lata


2 comments:

Koch Clan said...

Seriously, I made up a book too in Whitman's class! So funny. I was totally a cliffs note gal in ap english. Your books sound very intelligent. I do think that if I just read your blog I will become smarter. I like to stick to books like Twilight. You don't know what you are missing until you see a girl fall in love with a vampire!

Stringer said...

Who didn't make up a book for Whitman's class? I wonder if now he checks to make sure the books people write reports on actually exist? My guess is no.

Anyways, if you are looking for a decent book, I suggest "Country of My Skull." Based on real life (South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Committee), it is easily one of the best things I have read recently.

In terms of fiction, I would recommend "Bel Canto". Can't remember who wrote it (maybe Ann Patchett), but the premise is very interesting and the outcome is not what one would expect.