Sunday, June 1, 2008

church today

Today was "Rock this Sunday" at my church. It was led by the leaders from our youth group (7-12 grades) named "Rock this Life". So you can see where the title of this service came from. It was fitting for the day. Two of our youth leaders made our sanctuary look great. They removed the first few rows of chairs so people could come up and stand shoulder to shoulder to worship Jesus. The lights were out except the stage lights and a projector projecting cool screen-saver-esque things on a wall and ceiling.

It was not our normal service. We usually do like 30 minutes of music, communion and offering, then the sermon and a final song. Today was more like a youth meeting and it was really cool. It started with a video of the conversion of Brian Welch the former Korn guitarist. Then we played some tunes, then a video that made me cry and basically if you know Jesus you will cry as well.




Then we played some more tunes and Greg and Terence gave their testimonies, took communion, offering, and then one more tune before Pastor Malanga gave the benediction. It was such a great service.

It was cool to have some the the Rock band play too. Kyle played guitar and I've been teaching him guitar lessons all school year, it was really fun to play alongside him. Daniel also played bass and he's been in my BGCA band for the last few months and he did wonderful as well. Then Greg on acoustic and singing, Mike Edwards on drums, and me on telecaster. It was a great bunch of musicians. The spirit was really there, people were crying and praising and singing passionately the whole time. I wish worship was like that all the time. I guess it could be but we'd have to have a revamp of our worship ideals for that to happen.

It was so good today. I came home and played my guitar all day and am now committing some serious time to improving my electric guitar playing. It's time I did something, I've been at the same plateau for years and it's time I improved. So you know what that means, break out the metronome and hit it hard. That's what I plan on doing.

No comments: